Re: frame-local variables weirdness

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: frame-local variables weirdness
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 05:01:11 -0400

    > The specifier approach requires new functions just to look at or
    > set the value in the current binding.

    You mean you have to use `specifier-set' and `specifier-value' instead of
    `set' and `symbol-value'?  Well, yes.  Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

It is an added inconvenience.

    > It also has the big limitation that all references to the value must be
    > specially written to access a specifier.

    Right, just like right now they're specifically written to access a
variable.

Accessing a variable is not "specifically written"; it is the normal
thing to do in Emacs.

I hope that this makes my decision clear, but in any case it is a firm
decision.