Re: byte compiler warnings when bootstrapping

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: byte compiler warnings when bootstrapping
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 03:12:18 -0400

    I think it would be good.  Although I think I'd rather allow the
    external-function-delcaration to give an arglist so that the bytecompiler
    can check you passed the right number of arguments as well.  So maybe
    something like

      (declare-function <foo> <fooarglist>)

That seems like a good design, but I think it should also have
the file name, so that something at build time can check all these
against the files they refer to.

    Along similar lines I'd like to add a

      (require-lazily <feature>)

    which would behave similarly to `require' except that the byte-compiler
    would replace it with a bunch of autoloads.  so the package would only be
    "required" when one of its functions was used.

I have a bad feeling about that -- that it would produce scads of autoloads
which are not needed.  Also, I don't think it is needed in any of the existing
cases of warnings we would like to suppress.