Re: isearch multiple buffers

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: isearch multiple buffers
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 03:12:17 -0400

    > To make this a minor mode is undesirable because we do not want users
    > to enable and disable it.  I think it should simply be a subroution
    > for that major modes can call.

    It is likely that there are some users who won't like this feature.
    I think we shouldn't make it hard to disable.

You have already implemented an option to disable it, and select
a few different behaviors.  I think that is enough.

    Also this minor mode could provide an indication in the mode line
    (e.g. "X" or "X-Isearch" to mean cross-buffer search), so when the
    search goes to another file, it will not surprise users.

I do not quite follow.  Precisely when do you suggest displaying this
in the mode line?

(Moving to another buffer will show up in the mode line, of course.
So maybe that is plenty.)