Re: recent changes to org files

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: recent changes to org files
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:30:28 +0900

> To me it works like this:  My copy is the master copy, not the one in
> Emacs.  The best setup for me would be to get email notifications,
> maybe with a patch, whenever some Emacs developer touches my files in
> Emacs.  Then I can decide if I agree with these changes and
> incorporate the accepted part into my master copy.

If you maintain an external copy of these files, it's indeed a good idea
to arrange to be notified of changes in Emacs CVS.

However, anybody who commits to Emacs CVS _must_ take care of merging
issues in some way.  That isn't something optional which depends on the
whims of the file's author/maintainer and/or the existance of other
copies of that file.

If you see changes you don't like in Emacs CVS, then of course, those changes
can be reverted -- but that should be an explicit and intentional action, not an
implicit side-effect of being overwritten by some external "master" copy.

-Miles

--
Occam's razor split hairs so well, I bought the whole argument!