Re: recent changes to org files

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: recent changes to org files
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:34:44 +0200

On Oct 23, 2007, at 1:16 PM, David Kastrup wrote:

I don't have the time to spend my days on emacs-devel, my energy
goes into making org-mode as good as I can.  The version of org-mode
that is tested the most is the one I distribute, and the most likely
to not have any bugs.

That assumes that more people use the org-mode from your web site than
the org mode in Emacs, since using org-mode is a sort of testing.

I do believe that many people use Org-mode in Emacs. But the people who use it heavily and report back fastest tent to be the ones on the development list, and they tend to run the newest version. Inside Emacs, I guess the version that is distributed with Emacs 22 is heavily tested, the CVS version less so? Not sure.

That is the one I am checking into. Emacs.  When I see changes made
to org-mode in Emacs I am incorporating them into my master copy if
they make sense, and only then.

If I would follow Stefan' advice and only check in diffs, the `next-
line' code would be broken now.

If indeed this would be the case (and I don't see that right now), it

Well, checking in a patch with changes would not lead to a conflict in an
area that I have not modified.  So just checking in patches will not
remove a bug that has (clearly by accident) been introduced in one of those clean-up operations where many files are are modified in order to implement a rule like "don't use next-line in lisp programs". These changes typically affect many files, and it is impossible for the developer who does the change to be sure in all cases that he has done the right thing. The only way to make sure is to run these changes by the maintainer. In that past, that has happened sometimes: I get an email with proposed changes, with the request to check them before they are committed. For example, Stefan has been doing things like this, and I appreciate his comments and additions, and the way he handles it, a lot.

would be broken in a documented and isolatable way, and for a reason.
This reason remains to exist.  Overwriting the change without comment
or documentation means that the same reason will possibly result in
the same change being made later on.

If some code is in violation of the Emacs development guidelines, the
reason should be documented so that people _know_ about it and leave
it alone.  Silently reverting the change in a manner that looks like
an accident will not achieve this.

Yes. Of course I only reverted the change "by accident" without an accompanying change log. Still, I am maintaining that the copy I work on every day is the most
reliable one, and that any significant changes should be run by me.

I do agree, I am not battling, I am doing as good as I can and I I
sometimes slip.  But if I am the maintainer of org-mode in Emacs,
than I and no one else decides what goes into the mode and what not.
If people disagree, and I will quit maintaining this mode inside
Emacs.

Basically you are asking that nothing, including bug fixes, may be
committed to org-mode except by yourself.

No, this is not correct. I request that I changes are run by me first, and that I get the last word. Obviously ion 99% of cases, things are fine and the will be
only happy agreement.

Being a maintainer does not mean that nobody else may do work on the
code.  It means that people in general respect you having the last
word.  But it is the last, not the only word.

Exactly my words.

- Carsten