Re: [patch] Re: regexp repacement, how to present replacement to user?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [patch] Re: regexp repacement, how to present replacement to user?
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:53:36 -0400

    > The question is, is this operation sufficiently useful that we
    > should add functions to Emacs to do it, and document them?

    Well, these sort of operations are sufficiently obscure that one
    should add functions for them, I think.

There must be thousands of things that are meaningful and obscure, and
it would be a change for the worse to complicate Emacs by adding them
all.  We should only add the ones that are substantially useful.  The
question is whether this is one of them.