Re: isearch multiple buffers

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: isearch multiple buffers
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 04:33:17 -0400

    > You have already implemented an option to disable it, and select
    > a few different behaviors.  I think that is enough.

    There is no option to disable it.  There is only one option that specifies
    where to pause the search.

Let's rename that variable to isearch-multi-buffers,
and make nil mean don't search other buffers.
The value t could mean don't pause,
and the value `pause' could mean "All buffers".

I think this is more convenient than having two separate options.

      There are two places where this
    indication can be added: in the mode line as a minor mode "lighter" string,
    or/and as the prefix/suffix of the isearch message, e.g.:

Yes, but my question is WHEN to display this.  All the time
when the feature is enabled?  Only while searching?

    I-search: search_string [Repeat for next buffer]

"[Repeat for next buffer]" seems rather long; often it will not fit
in the line, and making the minibuffer grow a line would be a pain.