Re: Warning: `mapcar' called for effect; use `mapc' or `dolist'

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Warning: `mapcar' called for effect; use `mapc' or `dolist'
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 21:28:56 +0200

On Mon, Oct 22 2007, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

>> Assuming that all emacs versions that gnus wants to support have
>> either mapc or dolist, can somebody please take care of these
>> warnings?
[...]
> With No Gnus v0.7 I did `cd lisp; make warn' and tried replacing
> of `mapcar' with `mapc', `dolist', or `while' loops for a while,
> and realized it's not easy and not safe.  Ones who do it will
> need to study what things using `mapcar' do in all cases.

Thank you for working on this.

However, you also committed it to v5-10.  As using `mapcar' is not a
bug and the changes might break the code, I'd prefer to install these
changes only in Gnus trunk (which will eventually be synced to Emacs
trunk), but not in v5-10 (and Emacs 22) unless there are other
arguments.  An argument could be to keep the code in trunk and v5-10
as close as possible.

A counter argument is that Lars suggested not to break compatibility
(with Emacs 20.7) actively:

,----[ http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/62286/focus=62770 ]
| Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane <at> imap.cc> writes:
|
| > Do you suggest to rip out Emacs 20/XEmacs 21.1 stuff systematically
| > like it was done after the start of No Gnus (mostly by Jesper and
| > Katsumi [2]) or only drop it on occasion?
|
| For 5.10, I think it's better to just let it decay instead of removing
| it actively.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--