Re: isearch multiple buffers

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: isearch multiple buffers
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 16:02:47 +0900

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:
> I think the 8.3 name restriction had the benefit that the names of most
> Emacs' files have been kept succinct and yet meaningful over the time.

... except when they are made less meaningful due to the restrictions.
Short is good as a general guideline, but it's hardly synonymous with
clarity or succinctness!

If we want shortish, succinct, names, then clearly we can review new
names, and change them when they're too long.  This is no different than
what happens for the 8.3 restrictions, except that the criteria for
judging will be actually be _relevant_ ("does this name suck?") rather
than being based on bill gate's brain tumor 30 years ago.

-Miles

--
"I distrust a research person who is always obviously busy on a task."
   --Robert Frosch, VP, GM Research