Re: Building with image support

From: Eric Lilja
Subject: Re: Building with image support
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:33:32 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
Eric Lilja <address@hidden> writes:

David Kastrup wrote:
Eric Lilja <address@hidden> writes:

My question is this: What am I missing without png support, without
tiff support etc? I only work with text with emacs, 90 percent of
the time programming. My original wish has been fullfilled, which
was nice looking toolbars on windows, but I wanted to know if it
might be a good idea to build emacs with support for the other image
formats as well. But if it doesn't matter to what I do with emacs, I
don't want to complicate my "build environment" unnecessarily.
You can use Emacs to browse/view images and directories containing
them, and there is something like
<URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/preview-latex.html> if you
are using LaTeX for writing texts.

Thanks for the quick reply, David. If I get more serious in my attempt
to learn latex, I will most definetly look into latex preview mode and
try to build emacs with the image format support it needs for
that. But as far as the "UI" is concerned, xpm is sufficient, right?

PNG icons supposedly look quite more refined on GTK+, partly due to
better transparency support.

I see, do you know if it has any effect on windows? When I'm using GNU/Linux, I use the binary supplied with my distribution. I don't know how to build it on that platform yet. I will most likely try to learn that if I continue to use the cvs trunk version.

- Eric