Re: snippet.el

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: snippet.el
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 23:10:54 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I'm interested in hearing what people think of snippet.el
>>> and how it compares, for convenience, with skeleton.el and tempo.el.
>>> Should we install snippet.el?
>>> If we install snippet.el, are the other two still useful?
>>> Can we mark one or both obsolete?
>
>> Could msf-abbrev.el, "mode specific abbreviations" please also be
>> included in this discussion? I havent used snippet.el, but Ive used the
>> other ones, and of these  msf-abbrev is the most convenient.
>
> There's a whole bunch of alternatives indeed.  I remember looking at Tempo
> and Skeleton and thinking it'd be good to unify them.
> Both are used by other Elisp packages so we can't just drop them without
> providing backward compatibility.

I like the syntax and simplicity of snippet.el.  I've read a message of
the snipped author on emacs-sources to make snippet and tempo compatible
somehow.  But those message is about two years old and I don't know what
happened since then.

And msf-abbrev.el is quite nice, too.  But there are two versions out
there and when I tried to use it the abbrevs for message-mode didn't
work, so I dropped it.

So before installing any of those packages, I'd check if anybody really
feels responsible for them and is willing to fix bugs and things.

Bye,
Tassilo