RE: isearch multiple buffers

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: isearch multiple buffers
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 21:29:08 -0700

> > I still "think that lots of Dired functionality could usefully
> > be ported to Buffer List."  You need not agree. ;-)
>
> So why do you think that effort should be spent duplicating what ibuffer
> has already done?

I didn't say that effort should be spent duplicating what ibuffer already
has.

> It's not like ibuffer is a different sort of interface from
> list-buffers, it's essentially the same thing + lots of features.

I'm not against ibuffer.

I am for improving Buffer List, and for integrating it with isearch.

If someone wants to integrate Buffer List and ibuffer thoroughly, so that
everything in Buffer List is also in ibuffer, I'm not against that. In that
case, ibuffer would truly be just a superset of features, not also a
different UI. Today, it is not just a collection of additional features -
the UI is not the same, even if it looks similar.

The relation between Buffer List and ibuffer is not, for example, like that
between dired.el and dired-x.el. When you load dired-x.el, all you get is
more, not different. And Dired-X is also documented (in its own manual, and
mentioned in the Emacs manual).

If Buffer List and ibuffer were integrated, with no loss of Buffer List
features, then as long as the Buffer-List subset would continue to exist on
its own as the default behavior, I would still be in favor of integrating
isearch with that subset. Likewise, I would still be in favor of adding some
Dired features to that subset.

If the two are instead to remain separate, then I'm in favor of adding these
features to at least Buffer List, both if possible. If ibuffer were truly
built upon Buffer List, then there would be no extra effort in doing that
for both. If there is a choice of where to start to add isearch for multiple
marked buffers, I vote for Buffer List.

I am not in favor of integrating isearch only with ibuffer, which isn't even
mentioned in the manual. As I said, however, if ibuffer replaces Buffer List
altogether someday, that will be a different story.

As I also said, I'm not going to work on this anyway, so what I prefer is
probably not too important, beyond the possibility of influencing others.