Is there a plan to record kbd macro as elisp code?

From: yzhh
Subject: Is there a plan to record kbd macro as elisp code?
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:28:17 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

Recording kbd macro as elisp code can be useful. The following are some
benefits:
1. Editing elisp code is more clear than editing key sequences, and supports
complex controlstructures.
2. elisp code is more portable than key sequences. Sharing with others who
have different key bindings is ok for elisp, but not for key sequences.
3. It can be used as a means ot learn emacs commands in elisp form.

I tried to build a modified emacs that stores every command sent to
'execute-command' into a list, when 'defining-kbd-macro' is on. But the
result is a list that still leaves out things like horizontal movements.
And isearch is not recorded right (one search recorded as many isearch
commands, without information of what's being searched).

So I know the modification required is not simple, far beyond a quick and
dirty patch.

Out of curiosity I want to know whether there is a plan for this feature in
the future.