Re: isearch multiple buffers

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: isearch multiple buffers
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 02:27:34 +0300

> Offhand, I'd say the second is sufficient: invoking `C-s' from within Buffer
> List or Dired ignores the marked buffers/files - it doesn't do multi-buffer
> search. But I like the idea of being able to toggle a set of marks on and
> off. in fact, I'd like that to be available for all kinds of marks (choosing
> the type of mark to toggle, perhaps, as we do for `dired-change-marks').

Another useful type of isearch in Buffer List or Dired is the search
restricted to the file name column.  This type of isearch should search
text only in file names.  But the same obstacle prevents installing this
useful feature: there is no clear way of starting this type of isearch.

This suggests adding a new prefix key for starting different isearch types.
I think a good mnemonic prefix key would be `M-s'.  So we could have the
following keybindings:

`M-s *' - start multi-buffer isearch in Buffer List
          or multi-file isearch in Dired;

`M-s |' - start isearch restricted to file names or buffer names

`M-s w' - start word search instead of using the ugly hack of
          typing C-w as the first keystroke in the minibuffer
          for editing the search string.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/