RE: isearch multiple buffers

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: isearch multiple buffers
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 16:37:05 -0700

> Maybe, starting multi-buffer isearch should depend on the point
> position in the *Buffer List*, e.g. when point is on a mark in
> beginning of the line, then start multi-buffer isearch,
> otherwise use normal isearch in the same buffer.

I don't like that idea at all. Too complicated.

IMO, the position of the cursor should only matter to isearch in a buffer it
is searching. And it should not have any other significance except as the
search starting point

Let's keep it simple:

* Marked buffers means search those buffers. Always.
* Provide a buffer-menu command to toggle the marks on and off.

The only time you want to search the Buffer List itself is when you are in
that buffer. And if you are there, then you can hit the toggle key to turn
off the marks. That's one extra keystroke before you search the Buffer List
(and another keystroke to toggle the marks back on, if you want them on).

Searching the Buffer List will be a lot less common than searching multiple
buffers. Let's not complicate things for that infrequent (corner) use case -
two keystrokes is a fair price to pay.