Re: isearch multiple buffers

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: isearch multiple buffers
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 03:33:33 +0200

> Likewise, the inconvenience of entering incremental word search is not
> related to multi-buffer isearch. You once advocated an isearch binding for
> that, and I agreed. In my own code, I use `C-s M-w', which is simple and
> mnemonic. I think RMS opposed it because he wants `M-w' to end the search
> and copy the region. If not that key, then another?

A key that doesn't cause conflicts with keys useful for exiting a search
is `C-s M-s w' or `C-s M-s M-w'.

> This question (incremental word search) comes up again and again - it came
> up again yesterday on help-gnu-emacs. We've at least documented the
> mysterious `C-s M-e C-w ... C-s' incantation now. I agree with you that it's
> time we gave this a proper (simple) binding.

A year ago I proposed the following isearch keybindings:

    (define-key isearch-mode-map "\M-sw" 'isearch-toggle-word)
    (define-key isearch-mode-map "\M-s\C-y" 'isearch-yank-kill)
    (define-key isearch-mode-map "\M-se" 'isearch-edit-string)
    (define-key isearch-mode-map "\M-sr" 'isearch-toggle-regexp)
    (define-key isearch-mode-map "\M-sc" 'isearch-toggle-case-fold)

and Richard replied:

    Using M-s as a prefix within Isearch is ok, because it isn't used much
    with other meanings.  So it would be ok for many such commands.
    However, it would not be ok as a replacement for M-y, because a two-char
    sequence would be too inconvenient for that job.  So we should not expect
    to move ALL special isearch commands onto the M-s prefix.  But we could
    move most of them.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/