Re: Fwd: overlay face property not used for after-string property

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Fwd: overlay face property not used for after-string property
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 05:22:23 -0400

    > Can someone write a patch so that the overlay's face property (and
    > other display-related properties) won't apply to its before-string?
    >
    > Joe, what do you think about that as a solution?

    I think that would be an improvement.  I think the best solution would
    be for the face property of an overlay (and similar properties) to not
    apply to the before-string, the after-string, _and_ the display
    property of the overlay.

Can someone implement that?  It should not be fundamentally hard;
making the properties apply is what is hard.

    Note that there are additional problems.  One example (which I have
    already reported) is that the face of the character in the buffer
    after the overlay start location (which is not even in the overlay if
    the overlay is of length zero) is applied to the before-string and
    display properties of the overlay.

The fix we are discussing will get rid of this problem, right?

                                        Another example (which I think I
    have not previously reported) is that the face of the character in the
    buffer _after_ the overlay end location (which is _never_ in the
    overlay) is applied to the after-string property.

Let's consider that after this fix is done; perhaps this will
solve that other problem as a byproduct.