Re: Is there a plan to record kbd macro as elisp code?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Is there a plan to record kbd macro as elisp code?
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 05:22:01 -0400

    With CUA mode, the interpretation of C-x and C-c depends on
    whether the region is active or not.  That is not done through
    pre-command-hook (but setting/extending the region is), but rather
    through the keymaps which are active at the time.

I don't see any easy way to handle that, except the method
of recording the commands that are run.

Perhaps this is a good reason to use the method of converting by
executing the macro.  If we do, it remains better to do so by
replaying the macro than by making the user type the definition again.