window-system and batch mode

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: window-system and batch mode
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:35:01 +0900

Hi,

Recently Emacs sets `window-system' to t in the batch mode:

emacs -batch -Q -eval '(message "%s" window-system)'

Shouldn't it be nil?  If not, what is the right way that a Lisp
program knows that it runs in the batch mode?  Is it `noninteractive',
`(display-graphic-p)' or possibly `initial-window-system'?

I run Gnus in the batch mode using cron every day before I come
to the office for fetching new mails, but it failed nowadays
because Gnus calls `gnus-x-splash' which requires a graphic Emacs
frame[1].  The relevant code is:

(defun gnus-1 (&optional arg dont-connect slave)
[...]
      (cond
       ((featurep 'xemacs)
        (gnus-xmas-splash))
       (window-system
        (gnus-x-splash))))

([1] Although I've fixed in Gnus CVS the real cause, that is the
 form `(frame-parameter nil 'vertical-scroll-bars)' returns nil
 in `gnus-x-splash', it is essentially needless to be called if
 there's no window system.)

Regards,