Re: define-abbrev

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: define-abbrev
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:20:37 +0100

Am Montag, 29. Oktober 2007 21:57 schrieb Stefan Monnier:
> > emacs -q
> > cursor after "Welcome" at startscreen
> > M-x add-global-abbrev wo RET
> > M-x edit-abbrevs
> > Kill just inserted line "wo" 0 "Welcome"
> > C-c C-c
> > then described error occurs.
> > apply: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil
>
> Hmm... works fine for me.  Can you try it with "emacs -Q" (in case it
> depends on some change in your site-init file(s))?
>

>         Stefan

With emacs -Q sometimes it's gone, sometimes
not. Strange enough: with -q sometimes also. Maybe the
daylight or the moon have influence too? :)

Error occurs at nearly the last line 898

      (apply 'define-abbrev table elt))))

BTW having a closer look at the code, I see abbrevs
still downcased.

What means, I still can't have different abbrevs "Te"
"te" "tE" "TE".

So for me the whole issue isn't tackled.

Can you tell me an example where this downcasing is
useful, why it's introduced once?

Why not simply render a string as is?:

genannt London Bridge

M-x 3 add-mode-abbrev

is called London Bridge

For me both GNU and Xemacs abbrev.c codes look much
simpler than new abbrev.el. I'd prefer little changes
there than having a complete new thing.

Grüße

Andreas Röhler