Re: Case folding for auto-mode-alist

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Case folding for auto-mode-alist
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:17:04 -0400

>>> Yes, you can get that by setting auto-mode-case-fold.
>>> But for some reason that still escapes me, Richard is strongly opposed to
>>> activating it by default.
>>
>>> Because it is too drastic for the actual problem, and likely to often
>>> be wrong.
>>
>> Yes, that is your claim.  I have seen no evidence that it will "likely" and
>> "often" be "wrong".  As a matter of fact I have seen no evidence that it will
>> ever be "wrong".

> .c vs .C for C vs. C++ files is probably the most relevant item, and
> .Z vs .z for compress vs uh, pack? files could be one, though in
> practice one would uncompress both of those "legacy" formats with
> gunzip.

Thanks for playing: the code tries the case-non-folded name first and
only if that one fails, does it fallback to case-folding, so the above
examples all work correctly.

I.e. enabling auto-mode-case-fold only changes the behavior in the case
where the buffer would otherwise be put in fundamental-mode.  So the only
possible downside is if the mode chosen by auto-mode-case-fold is worse
than fundamental-mode.

        Stefan