Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 19:58:27 -0400

    > I don't think it is worth using up a key for that.
    > You can do this now with negative args to `enlarge-window',
    > and I think that is good enough for a command tha's not used
    > all that often.

    Sorry to insist on this, but Emacs has also these two keybindings:

      C-x {  shrink-window-horizontally
      C-x }  enlarge-window-horizontally

So what?

    I find it weird to have a keybinding for `shrink-window-horizontally'
    and not for `shrink-window', which is more fundamental.

These things don't run exactly parallel.  { and } are opposites
in a way that ^ and _ are not.

However, your point is valid to the extent that we might consider
reusing C-x { and C-x } for something else, if there is an obvious
something else to use them for.