Re: org-mode, please change the name of function org-metaleft etc

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: org-mode, please change the name of function org-metaleft etc
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 19:58:36 -0400

    Personally I see no reason to have backward-word on M-left too, but I
    guess it is there for historical reason. However it takes up a valuable
    binding.

It is there because of the Emacs convention that word commands use M-.

    * Then it was my proposal to change the name of functions like
    org-metaleft. The description of org-metaleft is

       (org-metaleft &optional arg)

       Promote heading or move table column to left.
       Calls `org-do-promote' or `org-table-move-column', depending on
       context.

Maybe it is valid to consider that a variant of backward-word.