Re: about remember.el

From: Michael Olson
Subject: Re: about remember.el
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 00:47:38 -0400

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

> remember-destroy surely does not need to be autoloaded.

Fixed, along with a few other unneeded autoloads.

> Is remember-region really necessary?
> Wouldn't it be better if `remeber' would just do what `remeber-region'
> does if the region is active? Many commands have been changed lately
> to do something different when the region is active, this looks like a
> good application of the same principle.
>
> `remember-buffer' also seems that is not needed,
> C-x h M-x remeber-region RET
> should do the same thing.

No, remember-buffer does have a useful purpose.  It is called by C-c C-c
in the *Remember* buffer when you want to "finalize" the note that
you've just made.  I've renamed it to `remember-finalize' to make that
distinction clearer.

remember-region is also necessary.  It is called by remember-finalize to
do the actual saving.  If point and mark are set, it will only save the
region between the point and mark; in contrast, remember-finalize will
force the entire buffer to be saved regardless of point and mark.  I'm
not entirely convinced that the point and mark stuff is useful behavior,
but perhaps some other mode depends on that.

> remember-mode-map could be defined and initialized in one step.

Fixed.

--
       Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652     |
 http://mwolson.org/ -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net  |  /` |\ | | |