Re: recording-elisp.el - try recording commands as elisp code

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: recording-elisp.el - try recording commands as elisp code
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 01:01:39 +0200 (EET)

> This recording.el is maybe some useful results from our discussion on
> recording kbd macro as elisp results. I'm now posting it not because it is
> perfectly usable, but to trigger some ideas on improvements.

Thanks.

> I started from a patch Juri gave to me. In his code there are modifications
> in the C code and in kmacro.el and isearch.el. I recognize that the C code
> patch is a must to get command args, and left them as is.

I think I should install my C patch that adds a new variable this-command-args.
This will allow you to continue freely implementing this feature.

> But I think it is better to implement the recording outside other elisp
> source. So I pulled his code out of those el files and wrote
> recording-elisp.el. I also made further modifications to handle isearch
> commands better.

I suggest you to give a shorter name to this package (e.g. record-lisp.el)
and to use the same prefix for all function and variable names.

> If anybody is interested to give it a try. it is quite simple: M-x
> start-recording-commands, do something, M-x end-recording-commands, and
> then M-x insert-recorded-commands into current buffer.

It's fine that you implement separate commands to record Lisp commands
with their arguments since actually this feature is not dependent
on keyboard macros.  But I think `C-x (' and `C-x )' still should record
Lisp commands too, because these keybindings are convenient to start and
end recording of command sequences, even though they record different
things: one feature records a keyboard macro, and another - Lisp code.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/