Re: recording-elisp.el - try recording commands as elisp code

From: yzhh
Subject: Re: recording-elisp.el - try recording commands as elisp code
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 13:39:35 +0800

Juri Linkov wrote:

>Thanks.

I owe you a thank you for give it a start.

> I think I should install my C patch that adds a new variable
> this-command-args. This will allow you to continue freely implementing
> this feature.

Do you mean you'll make the C patch available on CVS? I don't catch the
exact meaning of the word 'install' here.

> I suggest you to give a shorter name to this package (e.g. record-lisp.el)
> and to use the same prefix for all function and variable names.

Yes I thought about this. But "record-lisp-" looks too long as a prefix
while "record-" is too general a word that can be mistaken for other
things. I've not come up with a good one yet.

Any suggestion are welcome here regarding the names.

> It's fine that you implement separate commands to record Lisp commands
> with their arguments since actually this feature is not dependent
> on keyboard macros.  But I think `C-x (' and `C-x )' still should record
> Lisp commands too, because these keybindings are convenient to start and
> end recording of command sequences, even though they record different
> things: one feature records a keyboard macro, and another - Lisp code.

I've not written code to bind keys to these recording commands. I'd leave
decision about the default binding to the emacs developers. Currently using
seperate keys is easier. Doing both together would need some tricky code.
Recording a replayed kbd macro is a partial solution for the moment.

--
   regards,
yzhh