Re: Gnus maildir backend issues

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: Re: Gnus maildir backend issues
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 14:34:56 -0400

Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> wrote:
> 1. the backend creates empty files in .nnmaildir/num for each mail seen
>    and never deletes them.  This results in thousands and thousands of
>    (empty) files

Not quite.  There are thousands and thousands of links to a small
number of empty files (often just one per maildir), so the amount of
disk space used is very small.

>    I don't understand why these files are needed and I definitely
>    consider it a bug, that they are never removed.

They're used to keep track of article number assignments.  If you
remove them, you may cause some data corruption.

Is this causing any actual problems for you, or is it an aesthetic
objection?

>    It would be great to have an option, that says: only move mails to
>    cur when the folders summary was displayed.

I can see how that might be useful, but it would take a significant
amount of work.

paul