Re: recording-elisp.el - try recording commands as elisp code

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: recording-elisp.el - try recording commands as elisp code
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:28:01 -0400

> It's quite contradictory. If I give up relying on internals the recorded
> result looks bad. If I insist this style there are other isearch-alike
> commands waiting - I simply can not and should not handle them all.

I suspect that this kind of problem is going to re-appear in various
other forms for other commands.  I think the right way to do it is to
provide "hooks" in record-lisp which isearch can then use to explain
what it does.  E.g. record-lisp could check the last command's
`record-lisp-cleanup-function' symbol and if set call it to clean up the
last few commands.  Isearch could then set this property on
`isearch-exit'.  Well, to tell you the truth, I have no idea what I'm
talking about, so the suggestion probably isn't workable as is, but
hopefully it gives you an idea of how to cleanly interface the
two packages.

        Stefan