Re: Why does not rgrep use "grep -r"?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why does not rgrep use "grep -r"?
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 10:37:18 +0200

> From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 10:31:42 +0900
> Cc: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>, Emacs Devel <address@hidden>
>
> Neither method should use many processes unless the command-line
> arg limit is very short (though on windows, maybe that's the case...).

No, modern Windows versions (beyond Windows 9x) support up to 32KB
long command lines.

However, users may have Grep installed, but not Findutils.  Especially
since the Findutils port from the popular GnuWin32 collection is very
buggy (`locate' simply doesn't work, `xargs' dies with mysterious
error message, and `find' is abysmally slow).  I had to roll my own
port to be able to use the package.

So I think on Windows it might make sense to use recursive Grep by
default.