Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 16:43:13 +0000

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> Or you could opt for something else. What is it that you want? What is
> this thread really about?

Good question :)

1. I started to suggest using C-x _ for `shrink-window'.  We already
   have these keys: C-x {, C-x }, C-x ^ but C-x - is *not* the fourth
   logical element here; it's `shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer'.

2. Lennart jumped in and pointed to bw-interactive.el, which does a
   good job at resizing windows border-wise.

3. Richard added that C-x _ wasn't a good idea and that we could even
   consider drop the C-x { and C-x } keys if we have a better scheme for
   resizing windows.

4. Stefan suggested it might be a good idea to have something like a
   `resize-window' command that would spare us the hassle of repeating
   resizing commands too often.

5. Juanma sent a `resize-window' command he's been using "for years",
   suggesting that this could be improved by making it interact with
   windmove.el

6. I sent an updated (ugly) `resize-window' trying to use windmove.el to
   resize the windows borderwise.  This function does a similar job than
   bw-interactive.el, although it's a bit shorter.  It could be improved
   by binding the arrow keys instead of [ldur].

7. You proposed to use doremi.el as an example of what doremi.el can do
   when it comes to handling incremental actions.

7. The discussion sank into madness because of the confusion between
   what I called bi-directional and four-directional resizing schemes
   -- or size-wise and border-wise resizing schemes...

8. We still need to find an agreement on what resize-window should do
   and I pronounced myself in favor of the four-directional approach,
   provided we use arrow-keys for that.

Next action: comment, test, improve and clean the latest `resize-window'
and see if everyone is happy with it!

--
Bastien