Re: recording-elisp.el - try recording commands as elisp code

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: recording-elisp.el - try recording commands as elisp code
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 16:48:36 -0400

It was suggested:

    > I think it is enough to convert the isearch exit event with the
    > last search string to the calls of search-forward, search-backward,
    > re-search-forward and re-search-backward.

That is a good approach for the simple cases.  But if the user yanks
into the search, it is important to at least try to reproduce the
effect of the yanking.  Even if it can't work right in all cases, at
least it should work right in simple cases.

Likewise, if a macro does a search with C-s C-s (using the default
from before the macro), it is far better to generate a program that
will use the default, rather than one which uses a constant.

The same goes for minibuffers.  When someone uses completion in a
minibuffer, there are many cases where using the end result as a
constant is best, and perhaps that is always good; but there could be
some cases where it is important to repeat the completion operation.
(I am not sure.)  And yanking into the minibuffer ought to be repeated.

As regards isearch-case-fold-search, I think it is ok to ignore that.
The generated code should simply call a search function, which will
obey case-fold-search.  I think this will produce the most useful Lisp
code, in terms of practical use.