23.0.50; Emacs aborts with detached GTK+ tool bar

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: 23.0.50; Emacs aborts with detached GTK+ tool bar
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 14:24:32 +0100

On recent (since September 2) GTK+ builds, Emacs aborts when you detach
the tool bar and then click on the down arrow button to expand the
hidden buttons.  This is caused by this change:

2007-09-02  Jan Djärv  <address@hidden>

        * gtkutil.c (update_frame_tool_bar): Handle stock name as a named icon
        if it starts with "n:".

I attempted to debug in gdb; here's the output when the abort occurs:

  (emacs:19177): Gtk-WARNING **: Can't set a parent on widget which has a parent

  Gtk-ERROR **: file gtkcontainer.c: line 2641
(gtk_container_propagate_expose): assertion failed: (child->parent ==
GTK_WIDGET (container))
  aborting...
  [Switching to Thread 0xb6ec66c0 (LWP 19177)]

  Breakpoint 1, abort () at emacs.c:431
  431       kill (getpid (), SIGABRT);

At this point my desktop (I tried in KDE, GNOME and twm, same behavior
in all) is totally locked up, but I can switch to a virtual tty and
there kill emacs with SIGKILL (kill -9); SIGTERM (kill -15) does not do
the job.  This releases the desktop, but gdb delivers no further
feedback:

  (gdb) xbacktrace
  Cannot access memory at address 0x8321b6c
  (gdb) bt
  #0  abort () at emacs.c:431
  Cannot access memory at address 0xbfd6836c
  Cannot access memory at address 0x8321b6c

Setting a break point at abort() in emacs.c makes no difference.  I
don't have the GTK+ source code so I cannot debug it there.

Note it is only clicking the down arrow that induces the abort; Emacs
functions fine with the tool bar detached and the buttons hidden.

Steve Berman