Re: Fwd: overlay face property not used for after-string property

From: Joe Wells
Subject: Re: Fwd: overlay face property not used for after-string property
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 03:19:20 +0000

>     I would like to strongly suggest that overlay before-string,
>     display, and after-string properties should *not* be affected by
>     the text-property face properties in the buffer.
>
> That would be easy to implement, but it seems to me that in some
> cases text properties should influence these strings, just as region
> highlighting should.

How about negative overlay priorities for this?

(I assume you mean “text properties in the buffer”, as the phrase
“text properties” includes text properties in the strings.)

> Since various features use overlays to do something analogous to
> region highlighting, that suggests that in SOME cases we do want one
> overlay's faces to affect the strings provided by another overlay, as
> you asked for recently.

Indeed.

> A study of the interaction of those features

Maybe collect a list of all the authors of code that uses overlays
heavily and CC them on this discussion?  :-)

> with something like linum might make it possible to figure out some
> good rules for such interaction.

By the way (a slight shift of topic here), I think the overlays used
by linum.el should *not* be affected by the active region face.  I
think we already discussed this in the e-mail thread on linum.el and
the idea was to solve this by giving the active region face a numeric
priority (e.g., something like 100 or so) and overlays with higher
priority would not be affected.  (Has this been done already?)

--
Joe