Re: Carbon port emacs-unicode-2 build problem under MacOSX

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Carbon port emacs-unicode-2 build problem under MacOSX
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 14:34:02 +0000

Ted Zlatanov wrote:
> YM> And I don't think the Preference dialog that can't be controlled from
> YM> Emacs Lisp is suitable for Emacs.
>
> I don't know about this.  I think this is a good thing because it works
> better for new users, and the regular Customize interface is still
> available under Options->Customize Emacs.  On the other hand, it's
> inconsistent with other platforms to have a special preferences dialog.

Before the Cocoa port is merged, it would be good if the developers
could list all such new features here, so we could decide:

1. The feature is a good feature, and we should implement it on other
platforms too.
2. The feature really is Mac specific, and is good to have on that
platform, but doesn't fit in other platforms.
3. The feature is not something we want in Emacs right now.

If any features fall into the third category, then Emacs.app will no
doubt continue to exist as a separate project, but hopefully the
developers will still go ahead and merge the rest.