Re: Carbon port emacs-unicode-2 build problem under MacOSX

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Carbon port emacs-unicode-2 build problem under MacOSX
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 19:40:19 +0300

> JR> Before the Cocoa port is merged, it would be good if the developers
> JR> could list all such new features here, so we could decide:
>
> JR> 1. The feature is a good feature, and we should implement it on other
> JR> platforms too.
> JR> 2. The feature really is Mac specific, and is good to have on that
> JR> platform, but doesn't fit in other platforms.
> JR> 3. The feature is not something we want in Emacs right now.

> Adrian, I copy you on this, in case you don't follow emacs-devel
> directly.  There's also a discussion with YAMAMOTO Mituharu about the
> Cocoa port vs. his Carbon+AppKit port.

Thanks, I read emacs-devel thru gmane, so cc'ing is faster.

I'll try to write up a list of the features and post it with some commentary.

Regarding the Carbon-AppKit port and its predecessor the Carbon port,
it and the Cocoa port have become more similar from a user perspective
over time, as each derived inspiration from the other and feedback
from a shared user community.  There is some greater difference under
the hood, since one developed to the object-oriented framework from
the start, but I think that is becoming somewhat less now with
Carbon-AppKit (I've not seen all the code there), and my own efforts
to make things more uniform with other ports.

The Cocoa port supports a superset of the platforms (due to GNUstep
support), but the Carbon port, despite being younger, is more mature
and robust, so as long as people are working on it (now on
Carbon-AppKit), that's another good reason to keep it.