Re: minibuffer and current-local-map

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: minibuffer and current-local-map
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 08:20:54 +0100

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 23:42:33 -0500 Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>     The value returned by current-local-map for the minibuffer
>
> Inside which command?  What function was used to invoke the
> minibuffer?  What map did it specify?

I noticed this after typing `M-x', thus activating the minibuffer, and
there typing C-down-mouse-3, popping up the confusing context menu seen
in the screen shots attached to my OP.  C-down-mouse-3 invokes
mouse-popup-menubar-stuff, which calls mouse-major-mode-menu, which
calls current-local-map.

>                                                              seems to be
>     wrong (both in the trunk and in Emacs 22.1), containing partial
>     reduplication:
>
> Is the duplication present in the map that was passed as an argument
> for use in the minibuffer?

I'm not sure what you mean by "passed as an argument" here.  I saw the
value of current-local-map that I posted when I stepped through
mouse-major-mode-menu with edebug.  I also got this value by doing the
following (is step 4 an instance of passing the map as an argument for
use in the minibuffer?):

1. emacs -Q
2. M-: (setq enable-recursive-minibuffers t) RET
3. M-x
4. M-: (current-local-map) RET

Steve Berman