Re: X-coding-system incompatibility, and workaround

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: X-coding-system incompatibility, and workaround
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 00:21:43 -0500

    I don't see how this can be solved: as Emacs is developed, support for
    new encodings is added to it, and it doesn't make sense to limit such
    development for a marginal situation such as this one (sharing the
    same mail file between two different versions of Emacs).

I agree.  However, the old version of Rmail fails in a rather nasty way
when it encounters the unknown coding system.  Maybe it could fail
more gently.

Of course, we cannot fix the old version, but we could fix the version
in Emacs 22.2 (if it still has the same problem) so it will fail more
gently with future new coding systems.

Would someone please look at this, then ack?