Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:17:38 +0000

Hi Drew,

thanks for the comments.  Here is a new version:

  http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/u/window-edit.el

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> I cannot see all of the text in the pop-up frame, and if I try to use
> the mouse to resize the frame, the frame disappears - very user
> unfriendly.

Please test the new help mechanism.

The problem is that I don't know how to prevent Emacs from waiting an
event when the user select another frame, and making it wait for this
event when back to the frame where (read-event) was first called.

Any hint?

> No, still no message for not being able to move border down in
> full-height window.

This should be better now.

> I think the border movement generally still has some some problems.

Hopefully I made some progress on this front as well.  It was tricky
before knowing about `adjust-window-trailing-edge'.

> I still see the problem: With cursor in bottom-left window, use `up'
> repeatedly. Eventually, the top-left window disappears (there is no
> "can't move" message).

There still might be some oddities like that, I'll check when I've more
time.

> Also, C-N works only for positive N, not negative N. I tried C- - 1, and it
> just removed all windows (like C-x 1), because the C- - was ignored. That's
> OK, but if if that's the way it is, then the doc should say "N > 0".

I update the docstring and the help window.

> Possibility: When you restore the last window config, first save the current
> config at the end of the ring. That way, `s'.changes.`r'.`r' will bring back
> the config before the first restoration.

Yes, maybe.  I'll try this and maybe implement it in 0.5.

> It would be helpful if the feedback told you which window config was
> saved/restored. E.g. saved config #2, restored config #4 etc. That gives you
> an idea where you are in the ring.

Same, will be in 0.5.

> Looks good to me. Hope you get input from others. Thanks for making
> the changes.

Hopefully it's getting better.

Thanks!

--