Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 14:33:50 -0500

    Simon> Regarding naming, possibly `password-read-and-cache' should be
removed.
    Simon> The problem with it is that it enters passwords into the cache
without
    Simon> allowing applications to verify that the password is correct.
However,
    Simon> applications could detect this and use `password-cache-remove', but
it
    Simon> seems less reliable to me.

    I agree.  Forgetting to remove a bad password is less friendly than
    forgetting to add a good one.

Now that you mention it, I agree: it usually doesn't make sense to add
the password to the cache when reading it.  So I guess we don't really
want `password-read-and-cache'.

I agree that we should also mark `password-read-and-add' as obsolete.

If the only desired operation is to read a password and see if it is
in the cache, then I think we should give `read-passwd' an optional
KEY argument and make it just check the cache, not add.  That won't
lead to the previously described code-copying problem, because the
cache will not have passwords for the new application unless it also
has calls to add to the cache.