Re: customize-set-(value|variable) [was: apropos commands for commands,

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: customize-set-(value|variable) [was: apropos commands for commands, user options, all functions, all variables]
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:33:59 +0000 (UTC)

       1. Rename `customize-set-value' to `set-option', and
       `customize-set-variable' to `set-option-default' ...

   We don't currently suggest to users that they use those commands,
   so making them easier to use does not seem like an important goal.

As a rule, no one ever should use the customize commands unless they
are a novice or unless they do not understand a feature like fonts.
They are to help, not to replace `setq'.

The reason is that the customize commands provide even less an
increment of knowledge than `setq' because they are so readily
interactive and do not require additional knowledge.  In a .emacs
file, you must read the documentation on a variable although that
often tells little.  I fear that I still do not understand fonts
because my interactions with them has been through customize ...

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden