Re: SASL related files in gnus/

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: SASL related files in gnus/
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:36:58 +0100

I think we should add these files, SASL is a standard and this
implementation of it is good.  Just a comment:

"Daiki Ueno" <address@hidden> writes:

> BTW, I noticed that a couple of files are missing in gnus.  The
> original sasl*.el and hmac*.el distribution contains the following 2
> files:
>
> sasl-scram.el:;; Author: Shuhei KOBAYASHI <address@hidden>
>
>   This adds the SCRAM-MD5 authentication mechanism to sasl.el.

I don't think this should be added to Emacs or Gnus.  It is a
non-standard SASL mechanism and few if any servers supports it.

> hmac-sha1.el:;; Author: Shuhei KOBAYASHI <address@hidden>
>
>   This provides the HMAC-SHA1 function which is based on the SHA1 hash
> function.

This file is generally useful, but it is not needed by the SASL stuff.
I think it should be added.

/Simon