Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 01:26:23 +0100

Drew Adams wrote:
3. So allow C-n, C-f, etc. to move the cursor without exiting.

Ok, I see. I have added support for this, a defcustom
winsize-let-me-use.

My point is that the purpose of the face is not the same as the use you make
of it. A user might well want to change the face for just this use. A user

Ok, I have added a new face variable that just inherits from
`secondary-selection' (and a variable pointing to this, the standard
Emacs way).

7. I hit `?' for help. I got no help, and all of the windows
were blown away

Thanks, I think I have fixed this (in a different way).

8. Some way to save and restore window configs would be nice.

Ok, I added support for it.

9. Sometimes, I need to press M-left (or right etc) to get it to take
effect - the first press does nothing.
M-left etc first switches border and then window. Is that what happens?

I don't know. As a user, it seems that there is an unnecessary (extra)
keystroke. But there is no feedback for what it does, so I can't tell you
what it's doing.

I guess the problem might have been that you are using
mouse-avoidance-mode. Do you do that?

I move the mouse pointer to the relevant corner in the selected window
to show which borders that will be moved. In the new version I turn off
mouse avoidance during resizing.

Just moving the mouse pointer is not a very prominent sign however.
Changing the mouse color could help, but that does not work on w32.

10. There is no feedback when resizing is not possible - the

The error messages were overwritten. Fixed.

12. `-' seems to do nothing.

I have changed this to use fit-window-to-buffer. I think that feedback
should be given by that function.

And I have moved it to = which seems more mnemonic now then.

HTH.

Thanks. The new version is on

  http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/elisp/winsize.el