Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 01:14:54 +0000

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

> when I tried to find out the name of the command that moved the border
> of the upper window (i.e., the lower border of that window) with the
> upper arrow key, `C-h k' (describe-key) failed and I continued to move
> the border.
>
> I was not able to exit Emacs with `C-x C-c'
> (save-buffers-kill-terminal) either, not until I quit editing the
> windows with `q'.  Then I was able to quit.
>
> Certainly, `window-edit' should not disable `C-h k' (describe-key) or
> `C-x C-c' (save-buffers-kill-terminal).

All this is because window-edit doesn't have "real" commands (except the
window-edit command itself).  Rather it binds functions to events inside
a loop constantly waiting for them.

I do understand this is not very convenient, and I think I'll consider
implementing `window-edit' as a real mode.  Then we'll have a map and
the mode won't prevent usual commands from being invocated.

> On an other topic, in the documentation for `window-edit', rather than
> use the spoken but not the written term `wise' as in `direction-wise'
> you might write 'as directed by arrows'.  The original word is in a
> line 57 characters long; the new phrase adds seven characters but the
> total is still only 64 characters.

Thanks very much, I'll fix this.  I'm not a native english speaker, so
inputs like those are really useful.

> Indeed, please avoid hardwiring the `window-edit' commands.  You might
> want to display them in the documentation in the normal way.  (You
> would have to reword the documentation and maybe the names of the
> commands.)

They won't be hardwired when I implement the mode and its map.

> For example, a somewhat similar function is artist-mode.  That saves
> the previous configuration before it toggles on.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Here is what I plan to do: M-x `window-edit-mode' (or
`window-resize-mode', which sounds better IMO) will store the initial
configuration, let the user resize the windows as i does now, then the
user will have to validate the changes by exiting the mode with C-c C-c.

Would that be okay?

--
Bastien