Re: Doc-view resizing

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Doc-view resizing
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:43:30 -0500

> What if you set `doc-view-resolution' to a high value so that in general
> zooming means shrinking the image?  Will the quality still suffer from
> that?

I was thinking of exactly that right after sending my message.
I'm not sure if I'd want to use it for the "zoom to fit the available
screen real estate" (which is what my enlarge/shrink are for).

OTOH we could use it similarly to xdvi: xdvi renders to a high
resolution and then scale it back for display, always by an
integer factor.  This has 2 advantages: the scaling can be used for
anti-aliasing (and the integer factor seems to ensure a good result),
and the unscaled version can be displayed very quickly.

Assuming we can shrink images in a way that gives us good anti-aliasing,
that would be a very attractive approach: it allows us to "zoom around
cursor" like xdvi, and may also give us better anti-aliasing than the
one done by gs (which isn't stellar, sadly).

        Stefan