Re: 23.0.50; [emacsclient] *ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on

From: Luca Capello
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; [emacsclient] *ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on window system x
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:54:59 +0100

Hi all!

Please Cc: me, I'm not subscribed to the list.

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 22:16:56 +0200, Luca Capello wrote:
> I get the output in the subject whenever I tried to use emacsclient
> with something very simple like (the same trying to editing a file):
>
>   $ emacsclient -e 'user-full-name'

This was the first time I reported this bug.

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:44:13 +0100, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
> Luca Capello <address@hidden> writes:
>> Anyway, since this is unrelated to the previous bug (which is still
>> present on emacs-snapshot-nox_1:20071111-1), I changed the subject.
>
> I assume you are talking about the "don't know how to created a frame
> on window system x" problem. Can you please describe how you get this,
> starting from "emacs -Q" so that we can reproduce the issue?

I assumed that the reproducibility of the error was clearly known.  To
avoid any other misunderstanding on that, I use StumpWM, uxterm and
emacs-snapshot-nox, which means emacs CVS compiled without X support.

So, in a uxterm:

  $ emacs -Q
  M-: (server-start)

Launch another uxterm and try to connect to the emacs server:

  $ emacsclient -e 'user-full-name'
  *ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on window system x

As Michael Mauger suggested, unsetting DISPLAY solved it:

  $ DISPLAY= emacsclient -e 'user-full-name'
  "Luca Capello"

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca