Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 13:17:57 -0500

>> I'm not sure what method you use instead, but I see two choices:
>> - use a keymap with high priority.

> This is what I currently use, with a simple (use-local-map ...) in the
> definition of `window-resize-mode'.

That's the second lowest priority :-(

> The problem is that when `window-resize-mode' sends an error, the point
> goes in the minibuffer and the active keymap is still the one defined by
> `overriding-terminal-local-map'.  This is rather confusing since
> window-resize-mode-map redefines the arrow keys and that these keys
> might be useful in the minibuffer.  I don't know how to avoid this.

I'm not sure I understand the problem (i.e. in which way is this
different with use-local-map).  Maybe all you're missing is
`unwind-protect'?

> Another question about keymaps in general: in window-resize-mode the
> buffer is read-only and I'd like to prevent errors to be thrown when the
> user hits a key that should insert itself in another mode.

isearch uses a default binding:

   (define-key map [t] 'window-resize-other-key)

check isearch-other-control-char and isearch-other-meta-char.

        Stefan