Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:22:28 -0500

>>> AFAIK it's different because `overriding-terminal-local-map' will be
>>> used in the minibuffer as well (whether the user is here intentionally
>>> or by error doesn't really matter.)
>>
>> Why would you let the user get into the minibuffer?

> He wouldn't.  But hitting M-x accidently will lead to weird things.

So the problem is not that bindings don't work when the user gets in
the minibuffer.  The problem is "how do I prevent the user from doing M-x?".

> Also, going to the help window and tring to scroll with arrow keys won't
> work

Right, allowing that might be tricky.  An easy way out is to make sure
the help never needs to be scrolled (i.e. make the behavior sufficiently
simple and intuitive that it can be described in 1-2 lines).

> unless I cancel the overriding-terminal-local-map, which cannot be
> buffer-local

Again, take a look at how isearch handles similar issues.

        Stefan