Re: byte compiling defcustom

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: byte compiling defcustom
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 11:06:00 -0800

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

  > Stefan Monnier wrote:
  >
  >    The patch below implements the desired feature: it byte-compiles the
  >    default-value-expression (first part of the hunk) as well as any
  >    keyword arguments (second part of the hunk)
  >
  > I did not try the patch, but I can not see how this would _not_ ruin
  > the "Show Saved Lisp Expression" feature in the State buttons in
  > Custom buffers by showing byte code instead of Lisp code that the user
  > can edit.  Does it not?

I wouldn't want to speculate, how can one check for that? I don't know
how to use "Show Saved Lisp Expression", and it seems that the "Custom"
menu in a customize buffer does not work, it disappears after touching
the customize value, the same happens in 22.1...

  >    FWIW the size of a tar file containing all the elc files in emacs went
  >    from 29511680 to 29491200 after this patch.  Not the best metric, but it
  >    shows that the patch has some impact.
  >
  > I do not know whether the "some impact" above was meant seriously or
  > ironically, but the "impact" is less than 0.07 percent, that is, for
  > all practical purposes inexistent.  Definitely not worth ruining a
  > feature for.

Looking at the percentage of total space does not look like a valid
comparison for this optimization that applies to a _very_ small subset
of the whole codebase.