Re: blank-mode.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: blank-mode.el
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 00:57:54 +0200

>> I do not like dollar signs compared to ?\u21B5 but I prefer the color
>> which come with the glyph being less than #x0FFFF.  That turns out to
>> be dramatically important -- I did not realize how much.  (I could not
>> live with pilcrows at the ends of lines even if they had the right
>> color, but I can live with dollar signs.)
>
> Well, I prefer pilcrow instead of dollar sign.  Dollar sign is a problem
> when editing Perl, shell script or Makefile, as in these environments
> $ has a meaning.  Pilcrow in these environments don't have any meaning.
>
> BTW, pilcrow has been used by blank-mode for 7 years and it was suggested
> / chosen by blank-mode users.

The pilcrow is used to denote paragraphs.  In word processors where
hard newlines separate paragraphs it would be acceptable to use the
pilcrow to denote hard newlines.  This is acceptable also for
longlines-mode in Emacs.  But otherwise in Emacs where hard and soft
newlines are not normally distinguished you could put pilcrows only
on positions denoted by `paragraph-start' and `paragraph-separate'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/