Re: address@hidden: Re: find-grep makes raw terminal ANSI]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: find-grep makes raw terminal ANSI]
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 18:30:37 -0500

    > He is arguing that setting GREP_COLOR is a mistake

    GREP_COLOR is for compatibility with older grep versions.
    grep.el also uses GREP_COLORS for newer versions.
    So everything in this regard is already correct in grep.el.

I think we are miscommunicating.  The problem he's talking about
is that this affects grep even if grep is piped to another command,
and that gives bad results (sometimes).

I expect that the problem is the same regardless of precisely which
envvar is used.  Is that not so?

    The disadvantage of putting " --color=always" into the grep command is
    that it makes the grep command line too long to edit in the minibuffer
    before running.  The advantage of putting it into the command line is
    that it will allow the user to be aware what is going on and to write
    the correct grep command line.

That's a good summary of the issue.

I don't have much feel for what is best here.